[Amps] Amplifier power supply?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Jul 14 09:30:43 EDT 2007

> Can't see why not. Being toroidal transformers, the
> magnetic fields
> should be entirely contained within each individual
> transformer.

While it won't hurt his application, you'd be amazed at the
amount of flux leakage from those magical self-shielding
donuts.

For example a iron T-94-2 mix core has enough flux leakage
that the inductance can change about 50% between turns
spread evenly around the core and turns compacted into one
small area.

I know all the propaganda states the donut somehow magically
has zero flux leakage, but the real fact is other than path
length the magnetic field has no idea at all it is in a
round core, a square core, an oval core, or a conventional
interleaved E-I core. It can be better than some other core
shapes of the same material (for example it is a whole lot
better than a solenoid with open ends), but it isn't
anywhere near perfect.

73 Tom