[Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Jul 18 23:41:01 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m at msn.com>
To: "'W0UN -- John Brosnahan'" <shr at swtexas.net>; <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages

> John, you would know better than me about that!
>
> Seriously, Alpha has handed out firmware patch information on occasion. I
> know they've told customers how to calibrate the band switch by patching
> the
> firmware. Admittedly, that's not as potentially dangerous as shortening
> the
> warmup timer, but it carries the same danger that the user will make an
> error and patch the wrong address (and not remember which one it was!)
>
> I don't think a warmup timer patch is for everybody, but I'd certainly
> like
> to have it. I'd even sign a form releasing Alpha from any liability.
>
> 73, Dick WC1M

I'll bet the simplest / cheapest solution would be a couple of RF relays and
a used SB-220 with a tuning preset template placed over the load and tunes
controls that you could throw in the line while you were waiting for the
Alpha's filament 3 minute timer to cycle. $500 bux and you would never
have to touch the inside of the Alpha. It would also provide a hot standby
in case the Alpha failed outright during the contest. If you needed 160
meters, a Drake L-7 would be a good, but slightly more expensive solution.