[Amps] SB-200 DATA

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 04:49:16 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/18/2007 9:45:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
PlanerGuy at aol.com writes:

Even an  AL-82 will run quite a bit more from what I've seen.

.  I had been  thinking about an SB-200, but now I'm
given to understand that they have a  fishy odor?  I don't want THAT!

Kevin -   KC8GIA

Kevin, If you would consider buying an Al-82, then I would go one step
further and get an Al-1500.  They look exactly alike, but that is where the
similarity ends.  An Al-82 will give you a maximum of 1500-1600 watts out  with the
normal 100 watts drive.  The Al-1500 with the same 100 watts drive  will give
you 2300 - 2500 watts output.  That is nearly 1 KW more power  from the same
size real estate.  They are great amps, I have 5 of  them.

As far as the Sb-200, well the story on them is simple.  Let's get one  thing
straight, THEY DON'T STINK, I have smelled worst at radio Hamfests on a  hot
day (even on cold ones too).  All kidding aside, they may not be the  best
"choice" as everyone refers, but they DO work.  They give you an  honest 600-700
watts out and they are rather reliable.  You can re tube  them for less than a
$100.00.  Used on SSB, the tubes will last quite a  while.  In other modes
you have to back them way off.  There are tons  and tons of them out there and
they are still working like they were new. For  $300.00 they are hard to beat.
But for $2000.00 for a used AL-1500, that's  a better choice.

When I was a young ham back in the late 60's, I was pumping gas for about
$1.50/hour so I wasn't making a lot of money.  And when you are 16 or 17  and
making only a little money the price of an SB-200 looked Pretty  good.   I
bought one way back then and used it for quite a while and  it served me well.
That was close to 40 years ago!  I have bought  close to 50 of them in the last
few years to covert to 6 meters.  Every one  of them still worked fine.  The
worst case was needing some new tubes or  grid resistors.  Hey lets face it, how
many other amps have a 40 year  history with tons of them still in use and
available to buy at just about any  Hamfest?  Lou