[Amps] higher v.??

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Tue Jul 24 20:47:55 EDT 2007

At 16:28 24-07-07, Steve Thompson wrote:
>jeremy-ca wrote:
> > I switched to the compacts in a few places about 5 years ago when imports
> > became available at decent prices. I use them in places where I
> havent been
> > able to train my wife or remaining at home son to turn the
> incadescents off.
> > I have 6 in total and no failures yet. If my electric bill went
> down I cant
> > tell but at least Im not replacing 75-100W incadescents every time I turn
> > around. In that respect Ive saved money.
>To put the energy saving in context - you use a 20W low energy bulb
>instead of 100W incandescent for 12 hours and save about 1kWh. The
>equivalent is about 1/9th of a litre of gasoline (1/30th US gallon). A
>heavy squirt on the gas pedal and your saving is wiped out.
>
>Steve

You pay a fair amount more up-front for the CFL bulbs and I have seen
nowhere near the lifetime they are claiming.  They blow around here all
of the time and I would be surprised if I was getting a year on average
for the CFLs.  Granted, my line voltage is high -- about 125 -- but then
many people have that high of line voltage.

We had one that had burned out a few days ago but it was in a bvanity
fixture of 3 bulbs in the bathroom my wife uses and my wife never mentioned
it to me.  Last night it decided to start stinking up the place with a really
bad burned-up electronics smell.  So when they burn out you really need to
remove them ASAP, unlike incandescent bulbs.

--John  W0UN