[Amps] higher v.??

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 01:26:19 EDT 2007

>From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner at qro.com>
>To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
>CC: amps at contesting.com
>Subject: Re: [Amps] higher v.??
>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:35:08 -0500
>
>Very interesting Carl.
>
>I would call the current stash of CFL third generation.
>
>I started back in the middle 80's trying out 1 lamp in my house.
>
>IT BURNED OUT QUICKLY.  I returned it and they gave me another, It burned
>out.
>
>Ten years later CFL's became what I call 2nd generation.  The bases were a
>little smaller and the price came down some.  Tried another couple, they
>burnt out.

I've also experienced short life-times with some CFLs I installed about 5
years ago. Probably no more than a few hundred hours of operation, far less
than an incandescent bulb and certainly far less than the 12 to 15000 hours
as claimed by the manufacturers. And these were GE branded CFLs and not the
cheap ones currently available.

Having said that I've just recently installed a few new CFLs to see if the
current designs give any better results.

David G4FTC