[Amps] Gassy Tubes/Technology Museum looking for artifacts

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:56:32 EDT 2007

I guess Radio Ops  on the ground on Tinian or Guadalcanal, Wake or Midway,
mustering their big wing of B-17s/B-24s doing pre mission radio checks on
the ground with the aircraft fleet, were often in in 110 degree heat.  In
the air, everybody still had to be/stay on the same frequency at altitude
where it might be -40 degrees F ambient.  The VFOs and crystals HAD to be
stable, and/or the radio ops had great skills in tuning, keeping on the
right freq...Someone should/should have interviewed guys that were there, to
get their stories from a signal corpsman perspective, and write/written a
book.

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com