[Amps] Drake L7 mods.

Mark Hill g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 08:47:58 EDT 2007

Folks,

Have just purchased a late model Drake L7E (E for export?) as a
utility amplifier for HF.  As a teenager, I used to dream of being
able to afford a pair of 3-500 - only taken me 30 years to get there!

I'm guessing that, as the amp. comes from the 'golden age', it might
benefit from a few mods. - possibly inrush protection and some
attention to the changeover relay if its a high voltage coil
type.  Can anyone help short cut a lot of 'Googling'?!

Also, does anyone have a manual (as a PDF etc) for the PSU they could send me?

Finally, does anyone have experience of running 4-400 in place of the
3-500 in this amp.?  My teenage store cupboard still has a few 4-400, I think!

Regards.

Mark.
Mark Hill - G4FPH
E-mail: g4fph at mjha.co.uk