[Amps] HV transformer buzzing!! Help Please

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 16:44:53 EDT 2007

Folks:
I was just about to suggest that any potting or sealing of the open frame
transformer would SIGNIFICANTLY decrease it's heat shedding capability. but
Carl covers that in his final comment below.

Which raises another question...I have heard that over the long term, the
failure mechanism of high power, high voltage transformers usually finds
heat as the antagonist.  What is the mechanism?  I have  felt the core
frames,  of Kilowatt Amp power supply transformers at the time of heavy
sustained service, and they are REALLY hot.  That is the outside surface.
Would the internal core laminations be much hotter?  How hot?   Does that
kind of heat eventually char inter winding paper insulation wraps, causing
conductive paths, and failure, or does it maybe melt plastic Bobbins that
hold and insulate  the widings, also causing failure?

When building amps, or enhancing reilability of commercial (ham)  amps, is
it a worthy cause to add extra airflow, into/around the power transformer?
with a  wide selection of cheap, tiny "muffin fans" perhaps you can place
them strategically near/on/in your power transformer and forstall a
replacement during your lifetime.
Same... with HV electrolytic caps, any reason to keep cooler?

Another question.  Has anyone quantified the temperatures involved when a
technician does the "thumb" test by touching a component of an electrical
device?  I know from experience, say, touching a normal 2 watt resistor in a
circuit dissipating a couple of watts.  In my opinion, it should be
uncomfortably warm, say 2 seconds max with my thumb.. that might be normal.
If I instantly recoil, with an ouch!  I know a clue is there that something
is wrong, that there is a lot more power/heat there.  I remember in the
olden days, as a kid, putting my stocking feet on the power transformer of
my Drake TR-3, under the operating table.  If I was transmitting a lot, it
was really hot.
So, using all due caution, doing a thumb, or palm test, what might be the
temps of the following:

Transformer frame, Palm on frame,
Hot, 3 seconds max comfort zone:
Hot  6 seconds comfort zone:

Two watt Resistor (CAREFUL, NOT in HV Circuits)
Mildly warm, 8 seconds comfort zone
Very Warm  3 seconds comfort zone
Hot, 1-2 seconds
VERY HOT, 1/2 second, painful recoil

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team

http://www.cq-vhf.com
>From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
>To: "W5CUL" <w5cul at sbcglobal.net>, "'Van K7VS'" <wa7fab at cdsnet.net>
>CC: amps at contesting.com
>Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer buzzing!!  Help Please
>Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:27:12 -0400
>
>Old iron was often built with wood spacers and wedges driven in between the
>core and the laminations. Over time the wood deteriorates and the core
>possibly shrinks a tiny bit from compression of the paper used.
>You can buy tapered hardwood wedges at Home Depot and well equipped
>hardware
>stores as they are used by furniture restorers.
>
>I wouldnt recommend potting as that is rather permanent. If the transformer
>ever fails and you want the original rebuilt then leave it alone. Besides,
>the air circulation is beneficial.
Carl