[Amps] HV transformer buzzing!! Help Please

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:13:26 EDT 2007

I am guessing a parasitic high Q (narrow band) mechanical resonance of the
chassis/cover.... Excited by the 60 Hz mains frequency through the
transformer, mounted to the chassis.

Refabricating the cover, possibly different thickness, stiffness, and
especially with the offset vent holes, probably moved the HI Q resonance
frequency of the cover away from the 60Hz transformer-exciter..no more
resonance....

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com

>From: "k7fm" <k7fm at teleport.com>
>To: <amps at contesting.com>
>Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer buzzing!! Help Please
>Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:04:00 -0700
>
>This discussion of transformer buzz came just at the right time.  I already
>came up with a cure, but I thought it was through a defeatist mode.  But,
>some of Tom's comments at least reinforced my results.
A friend has two Ten-Tec 20 amp power supplies.
In a quiet room, one buzzes.  I somehow got sucked into helping him fix it.
The top is steel and it only buzzes with the top on.

The fellow sent it back to Ten-Tec, but it came back the same way.

A prior owner added some aluminum plates with adhesive.  That helped a bit.

1.  I removed the transformer and tightened everything.  Hum still there.

2.  I looked up mu-metal to install under the steel cabinet shell.  About
$50, plus mu-metal may lose characteristics if bent or cut.  Abandoned that
idea.

>3.  Removed transformer and dipped in varnish, then let it bake in the sun.
>Replaced transformer.  Hum still there.

>4.  Found a replacement transformer in my transformer junk box.  Same exact
>size and current.  Replaced transformer.  Hum still there.

5.  The transformer is on a sub-chassis.  I made a rubber barrier to
>eliminate transfer of buzz.  Remounted all.  Hum still there.

6.  I admitted defeat.  I replaced the original transformer.  No hum with
steel cover off.  Put cover on.  Hum still there.

7.  Admitted defeat.  Found an old piece of aluminum and used my shear and
brake to make a new cover.  I improved the ventilation holes, by putting in
some low and some high - justifying the new cover as an inmproved
circuilation method.  Installed new cover and NO HUM!.