[Amps] AL1500 PSU design

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Tue Jun 12 04:01:57 EDT 2007

Since at every instant, the reverse voltage in the Graetz bridge circuit is divided over two series connected rectifier elements (2 x 5 1N5408's in this case), there is a small safety margin. Substituting BY255's will increase the margin somewhat.

Another suggestion is that you also look into substituting "controlled avalanche" rectifier diodes which are more robust against reverse voltage spikes. One such diode is the Semikron SKa 3/17 which is a 3 A 1700 PIV type.
http://www.semikron.com/internet/gecont/pdf/918.pdf
I have had very good experiences of using these for commercial PA retrofit purposes.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM