[Amps] soft-start vs. autotransformer

Jan Ditzian ditzian at alltel.net
Thu Mar 1 09:21:26 EST 2007

I recently put an SB-201 (2 x 572B) on the air, with the assistance of
this and other groups.  One modification I considered but did not add
was a soft-start.  Instead, because my line voltage is at the upper
legal limit, I decided to get an autotransformer, and I use that to
bring the amp up to, and down from, full voltage (actually, about 97% of
full voltage).  The wiper on the autotransformer is so stiff that it
takes me at least five seconds to get it all the way around, and I
usually go even more slowly.

I now ask whether there are additional benefits to a soft-start, or if I
accomplish the same thing with the autotransformer?

73,
Jan, KX2A