[Amps] Testing a pair of 3CPX800A7's

Kevin LaHaie klahaie at centricata.com
Mon Mar 5 15:06:59 EST 2007

I have a pair of 3CPX800A7's pulls, purchased with claimed 'full
output', and I have no reason to doubt it, equally no reason to believe it!

I recently acquired an Alpha 89 amplifier, which uses the non pulse
rated version of these tubes.

Alpha, of course, would warn against putting ANYTHING in their amps that
was not procured from them.  something about hand selected tubes with
low grid dissapation?  I have also heard (urban legend??) that there is
a good possibility of serious damage to the amp should you not heed
their warnings!

Therefore, I would love the reflector's collective wisdom to the
question: Is there any valid reason not to use the Alpha 89 to test
these tubes?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

73 Kevin K7ZS