[Amps] MOVs on HV PS

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 5 15:58:46 EST 2007

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:40:20 +0000, Rick Stealey wrote:

>If I understood W8JI recently, Tom said MOVs should not be installed in a
>piece of equipment, forcing the surge to green wire ground, but rather
>should only be at the service entrance (or single point ground?).

I haven't seen Tom's advice on this, but I strongly agree with it (for that
matter, I almost never disagree with him on anything). If you live in an
area that gets much lightning, I also recommend a series-mode surge
suppressor on branch circuits that feed expensive equipment. The best ones
carry the SurgeX brand. They aren't cheap, but they are worth the money.
They're especially designed for use in professional audio and video
systems. I use them to protect my office computers, my audio and video
gear, and my ham gear.

There's a discussion of the technical reasons for these recommendations in
a Power and Grounding tutorial "white paper" that I wrote a few years ago
for audio professionals, and it applies equally to ham radio.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

The executive summary for the reasons why is that when the surge is
conducted by MOV's to the green wire, the green wire rises to the potential
of the surge. This can blow up equipment powered by other branch circuits
that is connected to "protected" equipment.

Disclaimer:  While I do some occasional consulting work for SurgeX, I
formed my professional opinion of them and their products long before doing
any work for them, and I have long specified their products for all of the
projects I design.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC