[Amps] Need Help Diagnosing a Collins 30L1 Amp Problem

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 02:53:54 EST 2007

w2cqm at juno.com wrote:

>....  With about 10w of drive on 80m I made 100w output but the
> antenna tune capacitor was almost completely unmeshed (minimum
> capacitance) and no resonance  dip.
snip

> On 40m pretty much the same results
> however on this band  the antenna tune capacitor was completely meshed
> and no dip on this control....

Should you expect to see a 'resonance dip' when varying the load
capacitor? Assuming a resitive external load, simplistically, the load
cap sets the step up ratio from the external load to what the plate is
going to see and the plate tune cap tunes out reactance so the plate
sees a resistive load - that's where the tuning dip occurs.

Steve