[Amps] L4B power supply bleeder and surge resistor

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:38:17 EST 2007

For your entertainment, here's last weeks excitement at K2XT.
During a break in the ARRL contest the amp was idling away when all of a
sudden a bang! and some
minor pyrotechiques.
One of the two bleeders was burned and open and the surge resistor blown
apart.
I checked with the man who knows amps, goodguyham Louie, and he said most
likely
the bleeder failed on its own, removed +120 volt bias from the CT of the
filament
transformer, let the tubes draw extra current, and the fuse resistor opened.
He was right, provided me with a larger more conservative replacement for
which I had to make a little bracket.  I got replacement surge resistors (5
for $5) from
Harbach and all is well again.
So, if anyone needs a replacement surge resistor (0.82 ohm), just let me
know and I'll slip one
in an envelope to you, in appreciation for all the help I get on the
reflector.

Rick  K2XT