[Amps] drive power

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Mar 17 12:13:59 EST 2007

> When I read this I conclude that my exciter (TS-870S) should be run to
> full
> 100w output to the amp to avoid "ALC overshoot" and tuning/loading
> problems.

Unlike many other transceivers, the TS-870S exhibits low ALC overshoot at
low transmit output levels, particularly when the Drive/Mic level is set to
reflect very little ALC action.

On CW, I apply only enough drive to light a single meter segment and the
waveform is perfectly preserved.  Same with SSB...increase Mic gain just
enough to slightly activate the ALC region and no more.

Paul, W9AC