[Amps] drive power

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 16:28:00 EST 2007

Bert Almemo wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> What you're saying makes sense. I have an IC-746 driving an IC-2KL and that
> amp needs about 35-40 watts drive. I'm reducing the drive but maybe that's
> not the way to go. Any ideas?
If you can cap the rig's output without using ALC - for example, by
using the rf clipper output level - then my personal preference is to go
for backing off the power. The few times I've looked at this, the high
order IMD drops off dramatically, and it's this which others will often
see as defining how wide your signal appears.

Steve