[Amps] drive power

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Mar 17 19:35:10 EST 2007

> The grid overcurrent protection circuit  is set to trip at
> 90 ma.  I
> normally adjust the drive from my Orion to produce a plate
> current of 400
> ma, the grid current bring zero (that's right, no grid
> current showing on
> the meter when the amp is properly loaded).  The power
> output on the Orion
> screen shows about 17 under these conditions.  Question:
> Could I be
> damaging the 8877 from overshoot?

The Orion is very good about not having any overshoot on CW.
After the first Morse element on a band it sets the
transmitter gain. This is necessary so the Orion has a good
waveform and does not click on CW. A rig can't have the
clean raised sine waveshape of the Orion if the ALC is
constantly pumping, so they hold the gain until you go to a
new band or power level.

No worries at all with the Orion on CW.

73 Tom