[Amps] Fault protection

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Mar 22 04:35:49 EST 2007

> I have an L-4B and L-7. Both have the same HV supply which
> uses a 2-watt .82 ohm "fuse" resistor in series in the B+
> line. I have often wondered why Drake did this rather than
> use a real fuse though the primary side of the transformer
> has breakers. There are 2 50K ohm 50-watt bleeders across
> the output but no "glitch" resistor. The bleeders cause
> the supply, which is outboard from the RF deck, to run hot
> to the touch.

Maybe it explains it in the manual, but I wonder.....

How do you know it was installed as a fuse resistor, and not
as something else like RF decoupling?

It very well might have been a sacrificial part that was
poorly thought out, or one that was better than nothing for
a fuse. But it very well could have been put there with an
entirely different idea in mind.

Whatever the case, we know it wasn't the correct part for HV
fault protection. In that case it's more like a reminder
something happened. :-)

73 Tom