[Amps] Fault protection

Robert Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Thu Mar 22 10:01:48 EST 2007

Well Lets see?

I reach in the file and pull out 1 Drake L-4B manual and start reading,
let's see what it says the resistor is for.

First reference to the .82 Ohm resistor is in the unpacking section each new
amplifier comes with two spare resistors.  (sounds like they expect to use
them as fuses for the HV.

The next reference is in the troubleshooting section and it was made pretty
clear what the device is for.

There is an HV shorting interlock on the amplifier head.  Here's the exact
quote, "In the event of a short circuit, resistor R12 in the power supply
will be destroyed.  This resistor protects the diodes in the power supply
and it should be replaced with an IRC 0.82 Ohm 2 Watt type BWH resistor
Only."

AH HA, I remember when I was 15YO and owned my first L-4 I removed the cover
when I broke a tube.  Lesson of a lifetime, left drive control up and hit
the tune switch.  I then bought a new pair of 3-500Z's.  I remember because
the $60 was quite expensive for me as a kid.

SO there we have it.  They installed a cover interlock to keep me from
killing myself while trying to run the amp before screwing the cover back on
and placed a fuse in the PS (which I promptly jumpered) after blowing it up.

BOB DD