[Amps] Bird wattmeter

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon May 7 13:12:41 EDT 2007

Harold,

What is missing from all the "information" given below
(besides the source) is what the calibration reference
standard is and what its tolerance of that standard is.
Without that key piece of information we really have no idea
what to expect.

Also let's be fair. The standard Bird 43 Bird is +- 5% full
scale accuracy. I'm not sure where 10% below came from.
Salesmanship?  :-)
http://www.bird-electronic.com/products/product.aspx?id=81

and of course you can buy +-1% accuracy meters from Bird:
http://www.bird-electronic.com/products/product.aspx?id=548

By the way the model 4381 mentioned below is not a lab grade
instrument. It's really pretty old. I bought my used 4191A's
for $200 each. :-)

But this all the point. It certainly sounds like the
Powermaster is a good meter. So is the Bird. Neither one are
perfect, neither one are "standards" and they both are only
as good as the standard they are calibrated against when
calibrated.

Buy either one and you can measure well within whatever is
important to a Ham or two-way service, so there is no need
to unfairly exaggerate one while denigrating the other.

73 Tom

.