[Amps] Power factor and choke vs resonant-choke input supplies

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Thu May 10 17:19:47 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Mandel" <hmandel at barantelecom.com>
To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie at centric.net>; <g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>;
"Borislav Trifonov" <bdt at shaw.ca>
Cc: <amps at contesting.com>; <rbonner at qro.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:18 PM
Subject: RE: [Amps] Power factor and choke vs resonant-choke input supplies

Dear Barrie,

Now you have a project!

First thing: See if your choke winding has a  gap. That's the big ticket
hurdle, because without a gap, it can't swing.

Well, the choke and capacitor were purchased from Peter Dahl as a resonant
pair, so I would assume that the 9 hy choke was proper for the job.  I will
check it, none-the-less.

I was not aware that a resonant-choke was a swinging-choke.

Next, use your B&K LCR meter to measure the inductance. Can do, yes?

Yes.

Oh, well, no problem.

Build a rectifier out of some diodes and put some juice into the choke,
but make a
C-input filter with some small amount (2~4 uF) of capacitance and hook
up a load resistor
that will be more than the idle current you expect to crank.

Hook up an ammeter in the choke line. Turn the power off and put a
capacitor across the
choke leads. Lookit the amperage, write it down.

Start adding or substituting caps with lesser capacitance across that
choke puppy and
see where your jump in current occurs.

You could just hook up and do it without any juice at all, but that
won't give you
the dynamic performance point, which is always different than the
calculated
XsubC = XsubL point.

Anyway, send Tom Rauch an e-mail and ask him about testing chokes. (Har
de Har, Har, Alice!)

I have heard that story and I'm not looking forward to this experiment.

Be careful out there. The streets are a jungle.

Not as much so as my ham-shack.

73, Barrie, W7ALW

Hal
6L6GB