[Amps] attaching a heat spreader to a heat sink

Robert Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Thu May 24 11:07:11 EDT 2007

I totally agree, the heat spreaders need to be a pancake and copper usually
is unless somebody bent it.  The heat sink should be flat as this one in
question is obviously warped.

The copper edges can be filed.  Copper is too hard to plane in a wood
planer, somebody will die.  Plus the copper surface is already smooth and
ready for the heatsink except for the edges.

The mating surfaces at the transistors need to be MATING perfectly.  You
cannot rely on the thermal compound to make the connection or cranking down
on the mounting screws to pull the pieces together.

Aluminum expands at a different rate than copper too.  So if you ask for the
screws to mount and pull the metals together the screws will snap the heads
off.

You might be able to get by with wackerized machine work on an amp built
with a pile of MRF150's.  You jump to an amp with MRF154/157's where 1
square inch is transferring 600 watts and you will be replacing $450 each
transistors.

You cannot have a heatsink flat enough, and the spreader thick enough. If
you could build the whole heatsink out of copper you'd be the real stud.
You couldn't stand the smell of the hot raw copper though.  YUK.

So while it sounds like OVERKILL making your heatsink and spreader flat.
Its not.  Now whether I'd run the stuff through a wood planer, not a chance.

It just might be time for a new heatsink.

BOB DD