[Amps] More on AL82 problem

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sun May 27 17:21:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/27/2007 2:09:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gsklott at yahoo.com writes:

Thanks  to W8JI, KM1H and Lou for the help.
OK still can't properly load the  AL82.

Both tubes look red hot.

The tubes should not really get too red if the amp is loaded right.  I  am
wondering,  The AL-82 has vernier  dials, Could it be that it is  slipping and
the load control is not really working?  Also on one of those  amps I had a
problem, at one time Ameritron had a plastic sleeve on the  load control that
went to the vernier, the plastic was stripped and I had to  doctor it up to get
it to work.  Maybe you need to look at the action of  the load control variable
cap as you turn the dial and see what is  happening.  What is the history of
the amp?  Are the tubes of unknown  condition to you?  Lou