[Amps] How to measure output power of a 800W vhf amp

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 08:28:07 EST 2007

Hamilton Horta - PY2NI wrote:
> OOOpssss  I guess 30 dB is too much attenuation for this (too low RF voltage
> to be rectified) , well maybe 20 dB would do the job?
No, 30dB is just fine - it will give you 0.5-0.8W output which is 5-6V rf.

I tried a simple detector at 144MHz with 51R resistor, 1N4148 and 10nF
capacitor (very short leads on all of them). Feeding a 1Mohm DVM the
readings were: 100mW 2.1V, 500mW 5.6V, 80mW 7.5V , 1W 8.45V

If you feed a meter with lower resistance, the readings will be slightly
lower. To make useful readings, you have to know the real value of your
attenuator.

STeve