[Amps] Alpha 87A Mic Click Grid Current Spike

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Nov 8 18:29:06 EST 2007

> Just noticed that when I PTT on my mic that my Alpha 87A Grid current
> always
> shows a momentary spike of about 70ma.

Start by taking the transceiver RF out of the equation.  Remove only the
coaxial cable between the 87A and transceiver.and key the amp's PTT line
with the transceiver.  Even better, bypass the transceiver altogether and
key the amp's PTT line with a dry contact closure.  If the grid current no
longer spikes, then the transceiver may be producing a short burst of high
power even with negligible drive.

Paul, W9AC