[Amps] Alpha 78 problem

Carol Richards n2mm at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 10:45:18 EST 2007

Hello........

During the last contest I began to develop a problem. When I key the alpha, non qsk mode, everything is fine. When I let up on the key the amp continues to mute the receiver. If I tap on the left side of the amp, the receiver comes back to life. Looking at the schematic, it appears that K-10 (dpdt/24vdc) relay is sticking or k-11, 24 vdc reed relay is sticking. I suspect the former.

Knowing Alpha, K-10 is a specially designed relay. Any thoughts before I have to call them?

Also....does anyone know exactly what type of fuses the Alpha 76PA and Alpha78 use? The manual omits this info. I seem to recall something like MDA-20 amp ones.

Carol