[Amps] operating a transformer in oil

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 11 02:50:02 EST 2007

> > Has anyone tried extending the power capability by placing one in oil? Im
> > aware of the flux density, core size and all that but just curious how
> >much leeway there is.
> > Right now Im contemplating 500W of AB2 out of a 300W CCS modulation
> >xfmr. It is not potted and the end bells are removable.
> > > The flux density is set by the excitation voltage and not load current - if
you are running the transformer from the correct supply voltage, the flux
density will be OK.
> > What you will get is increased I^2*R losses in the windings due to the
higher load current - this will result in increased temperatures and it is this
which can ruin the transformer.

Oops - the word "modulation" didn't register. As per the other reponses the dc bias complicates things.

Next time re-read question before hitting the send button.

David