[Amps] 50 Ohm Loads

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Nov 11 14:27:36 EST 2007

That was Carl who wrote that.

As you may know, the Carborundums are fragile being not much more than
powdered carbon granules molded and held together by some bonding agent.

I used a Dremel cut-off disc and started grinding shallow slots and
measuring after each one. The result was almost nil so then I turned the
slots into pie cut wedges. The wedges kept expanding until I had a decent
valley removed and 50 Ohms. Smoothed out the shape with a round file and
vacuumed well. Then the wound and a bit of the surrounding area was covered
with a standard 2 part 3M epoxy resin as used for fiberglassing. Since
acetone is about the only thing that affects cured resin it was good to go
into the gallon cans and become pseudo Cantennas for phased verticals and
general shop use.

Since the value has held I suspect but cant prove that the initial
manufacturing process caused the resistance to drift soon after production
and finally stabilized. This may be the reason for a wide range of
tolerances being offered as well as custom ones at rapidly increasing cost.

For low frequencies a regular wire wound can be used with a capacitor to
cancel the inductive reactance. Another use for nichrome (;

Carl
KM1H