[Amps] 8877 Filament choke

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 18:13:28 EST 2007

Beats me.  I've never been on 6, not since 1961 anyway.  A lot of builders
install a filament choke on a 8877 amp, example my Henry 4K Ultra, which
runs a single 8877, had a filament choke.  I'm not sure about an Alpha 77.
I have always been told that in the HF region running a 8877, you don't need
one in the filament circuit but a 2.5uH choke is required in the cathode to
bias line.  Bill Orr shows this in his 21st edition (1978)Radio Handbook on
page 22.41.  If you don't already have some of Bill's old handbooks start
looking for one if you're serious about amp building.

Bob W6TR