[Amps] Using HV rectifiers from microwave ovens

Angel Vilaseca avilaseca at bluewin.ch
Fri Nov 16 07:40:01 EST 2007

Hi,

For my 3000 V , 500 mA power supply, I will use some microwave oven
rectifiers, which are rated 7 Kv, 500 mA. To increase the current safety
margin I will wire two rectifiers in parallel in each side the rectifier
bridge.

The rectifiers are unused, all from the same batch. I measured the
forward voltage drop in each of them. It is 3.4 Volts plus or minus 0.02 V.

To equalize current in each of the two rectifiers of a pair, I will
connect a resistor in series with each rectifier.

My question is: which value would be right for the resistors?

I was thinking of using about 1 ohm. This would produce a voltage drop
of about 0.5 volts at 500 mA. Ten times more than the mismatch between
two individual rectifiers. Does this seem right?

Has anyone tried this?

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV