[Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor/possible danger !

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 13:22:52 EST 2007

I have a good old reliable dummy load, as shown in the picture:

http://groups.msn.com/TUVAORBUST/rfparts.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=5

I havent looked into how one replaces or checks the cooling oil, but this particular load is probably
30 or 40 years old.  Possibly a high chance that it has Old style transformer cooling oil.   No leaks.
If I or anyone else should look into the oil filled coolant chamber for whatever reason, is there any
telltale smell or coloration that will be a clue to whether the oil has PCBs?

Another question,  The dummy load in the picture is rated (probably conservatively) at 600 watts
continuous.  I have seen duty cycle curves on other dummy loads that tell you what the shorter term
limits are Power vs Key down time.   The graphics look very similar, an exponential curve.
At some point though, very high power applied to the load might put so much instantaneous heat
into the load resister that it cant transfer to the large oil bath, and fail, or change vale
Any idea what the say,  30 second power rating  would be roughly for  this dummy load.  I have
put for short terms  about 1.2 kw  into it without prolems.

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station Moon Bounce Team

.