[Amps] more dangers in our shack

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 17:09:32 EST 2007

Nils Petter Pedersen wrote:
> While I am at it... there are more dangers in our shack:
> Apart from the more obvious danger of electromagnetic overexposure
> using our 3cx 15 000's and the likes...:-)
> A lot of power tubes and other devices contain Berryllium oxide.
A lot?

The only tube I know of which has BeO in its structure is used in
the UK Clansman 353 tank radio. This has BeO between the anode and
a conduction cooling mounting flange. CCS1 and 8873 use a BeO
block for the cooling path.

BeO can be dangerous, and I play very safe if I break it in a
transistor, but I believe that prolonged exposure to a specific
range of particle sizes is needed to lead to lung disease. The
fumes from incineration are probably more dangerous.

Just for calrification, in a RF power transistor, the BeO is
between the mounting flange and the leads. The white top cap is
alumina.

Steve