[Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Tue Oct 2 14:04:16 EDT 2007

Actually the "crowbars" in large transmitters are there to save the "tube innards" (grids, cathode) in case of
internal arcs which are common occurrence. The sense circuit is connected in the plate return, and the ignitron diverts the the major part of the fault current in the order of a few hundred microseconds.

Grid overcurrents due to other causes are usually sensed by more conventional overload relay circuits
which have time constants of some tens of milliseconds, in order not to trip on modulation peaks.

Standard procedure for checking the crowbar circuit in 100 kW Telefunken transmitters (which, as a whole, were quite tempermental creatures) was to short circuit the 14 kV 15 A rectifier using a 0,3 mm silver wire, which should not burn off or melt. This obviously required some courage by the maintenance personnel.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM