[Amps] Switching off Drake L-4B occasionally trips mains RCD

Tony Brock-Fisher barockteer at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 18:00:43 EDT 2007

Using the US terms, a GFI or GFCI senses the current in the hot and neutral
leads to a device, and trips when they are not equal. The idea is any
current that traveled to a device on the hot lead and did not return on the
neutral lead might be finding a path to ground through a human.

First, look for a path or circuit which might be sending a current spike in
the neutral lead when the switch is shut off. Perhaps the collapsing
magentic field in the transformer, or from the fan, is enough to cause a
momentary current imbalance of just the right phase when the switch is
opened.

Another simple experiment would be to make up an extension cord (male/to
female plugs) with a double pole switch in it that breaks both sides of the
line. When powering down, open this switch first and see if it avoids the
problem.

-Tony, K1KP