[Amps] CB etc Amps

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Oct 10 16:40:19 EDT 2007

> Often, money spent on a better feedline or the replacement
> of an old one
> might yield better results than trying to squeeze 700w
> (dirty) out a 600w
> (clean) amp.

That's true with tubes and many HV FET's, but with bipolar
transistors the distortion starts to ramp up long before
anything close to saturation occurs.

200 watt LV bipolar transistors used on big antennas or in
IM critical applications belong in 100 watt power amps. Now
on a small antenna like a mobile, especially when used with
a crummy exciter and maybe 400-500 watts output maximum as
most tiny mobiles are, we might give up significant IM
performance without disturbing too many people. But when we
try to run a gallon on a good antenna with a good radio the
degradation is severe.

I'd stay far away from bipolar transistors, especially at
high power, in a home station.

73 Tom