[Amps] CB Amps or full spectrum???

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 03:17:24 EDT 2007

Peter Chadwick wrote:
>>BTW, a 1N5408 on top of an output transistor makes a fair temperature
>regulator. Not perfect but its cheap and simple as a retrofit of an
>existing brick.< If the diode is used just as a shunt regulator, that's
>a not very good bodge. If it's used as asensor in a regulator, that's
>better, although the thermal coupling is nowhwere near as good as one
>would like.

I've never understood why people drape a diode over the top of a
transistor package. Everybody does it... but why?

The diode cannot possibly sense short-term temperature changes inside
the RF transistor. Inside the transistor, there is often an air gap
between the silicon die and the underside of the ceramic top cap. To
reach the diode chip, the heat has to jump that gap, flow through the
thickness of the top cap, then through some random quantity of thermal
grease, and finally through the glass or plastic encapsulation of the
diode.  If there is a sudden, severe overheating problem (eg because the
antenna fell down), the transistor will be long dead before the diode
could possibly sense any change.

(Oh, and another thing: the diode is making a large pickup loop, over
the top of an RF power transistor, with a rectifier right there in the
loop. That doesn't seem like the best route to a predictable bias
circuit.)

The best practical location for a temperature sensor is on the top side
of the mounting flange, which is very closely bonded to the transistor
die. Also, a small tab-mounted power transistor makes a faster
temperature sensor than a wire-ended diode (use the base-emitter
junction). A small tab-ended SMD power transistor would be faster still.

A simple active bias circuit can give better performance than a passive
diode, and also save on bleed current. There is a classic two-transistor
bias circuit (with design notes) at:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/tr-bias/tr-bias1.htm
That circuit gives a reasonable compromise between performance and
simplicity, and is a reasonable retrofit to existing bipolar amplifiers.

Even then, the bias circuit can only track the relatively slow
temperature changes that you'd expect in normal operation. That's the
best you can possibly expect. For sudden problems, you'd better have
other forms of protection.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK