[Amps] How about a Solid State MARS amp

schuetzen chasm at texas.net
Thu Oct 11 10:48:09 EDT 2007

kg7hf at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi Chaz,
> Well, I think it is possible.  It has been done, there are pleanty of good designs that are available.  I sugest that you might read the ALS-500 manual, it says in the first paragraph that it covers the full frequency range from 1.5 to 21.6 Mhz, and looking at the front cover, that does seem to be the case.  It's not too hard to get 500 watts out of an FET these days.  Tokyo hipower is producing a legal limit solid state amp, and I know for a fact that the design they use can operate on 5 Mhz.   As a second fyi, I have an old 3-500z amp from Amp Supply, and just playing around, I could tune it on 5 Mhz pertty easily by selecting the 80 meter band select, and I could get about 900 watts into the dummy load.
>
> Are you trying to build one or more, or what is the end goal?

actually, I ran this thread idea past one of our state MARS nets Tues
and got several people wanting to be kept abreast of what I found out,
etc.   As I stated in the beginning message for this thread, I would
like to ask the list membership here to understand what we are wanting
which is a broad tuning amp, preferably solid state for its mobility for
base to mobile to portable set up and back again, and capable of running
legal limit since it would be used for 1.8 - 30mhz. Continuously.

Problem is, nearly all amps out there are HAM BAND tuned.  MARS as most
or all MARS members here know, operates on a bandplan outside of the HAM
bandplan. Including bands from which hams are excluded. Such as
10-14mhz.  This amp would be capable again, of operating on all HF bands
to help the member or affiliate to justify the expense of the amp - he
would be able to use it on ham bandplan also.  So, a SSB, at least 1kw
output, full HF bands and solid stste.  isfai am concerned, it would be
a 110VAC so that it would run off an inverter in the field or, mains in
base mode.

I would then like to ask the membership to design this and help me to
find someone who would be willing to build as many as 5,000 of them or
as few as a 100 or so.  price should be held to a $1 per watt or less if
possible.

We have more than 5,000 volunteer affiliates now and I think that a lot
of ARES/SHARES, etc would be very interested in such an amp.

I really believe that there is a market for this amp if we can get it
into production.

I am not even about to try to build one from a kit even<G>  I know
enough to electrocute myself trying to get it aligned or whatever that
is called today.

thanks for your interest and reply
chas k5dam