[Amps] Trimming the transmission line

rgroh at swbell.net rgroh at swbell.net
Thu Oct 11 22:19:59 EDT 2007

Yes. Although to generalize Barry's statements a bit, restricting the feedline to a certain length 'moves' the antenna impedance to a different impedance which is easier for the transmitter to handle. The SWR is not modified (other than a small decrease due to line loss) but the impedance can be substantially modified. Easiest to see and explain if one is familiar with Smith Charts where it is very easy to see the effect of line length. The effect of using a certain length of feedline might not be to move the antenna impedance to a purely resistive one at the transmitter but might be to simply move the antenna impedance to a more tractable one.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY