[Amps] Trimming the transmission line

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 12:34:50 EDT 2007

It did strike me that there is a case where trimming the length of feeder affects the SWR.
Let's assume that I happen to have an antenna with a feed point impedance of 100 + j0. I have an electrical quarter wave of 75 ohm cable, connected to a 50 ohm cable. Now, trimming the quarter wavelength of 75 ohm cable affects the SWR seen by the 50 ohm cable, and if the impedance was something like 100 +j10, one could see that trimming the length of the 75 ohm cable produced a reduction in SWR.
It's rather a special case, I feel, but shows we perhaps have to be a bit careful with blanket statements
73
Peter G3RZP