[Amps] switching power supply for tube amplifier

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Sun Sep 16 16:19:05 EDT 2007

Like Peter, I use to work in a similar environment, Component Engineering
at the old Tektronix in the 70's and 80's. And at home have a few more
tubes in use, I would guess around 150-200, in a Tek 547, 575/175, and a
couple older HP and Tek instruments.

My failure rate at home has been a bit higher, but I would say less
then 5, mostly from the ones being pushed to their noise limits.

With semi's when I had the opportunity to see what the failures where
at Tek < 20 yrs ago, and today in my home lab, nothing much has
changed. Manufacturing quality control with wire bonding and contamination
being the top 'winers' and the belief plastic packages will play nice
for > 10-15 years, they just don't. Add things like bean counters
where all you have to prove is a 3 to 5 years life
and you can ship that diode, transistor, etc.

Another is power supply design, you can not always blame the piece of Si,
add poor cooling, crappy assembly, under rated caps, no over load/short
protection (deleted by the bean counters) etc. etc.

But on the flip side, who will pay for military grade true
hermetic packaging, or for that bazillon watt transistor
taking up more run then the whole power supply does today ?
A price we may have to pay ?

Btw in my 30+ y/o 547 every HV diode has at least once in its life
failed, only two of its two tubes when noisy.

Now .. caps thats another story

-pete