[Amps] New SB-200 owner

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 11:45:18 EDT 2007

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>>It needn't be. If you stay simple, a dropper from the anode
>>supply with an uncomplicated active shunt regulator costs
>>about a pack of beer.
>>Regulation is more than adequate. I begrudge wasting 30W as
>>heat, but it saves a transformer.
>

> High impedance droppers from the HV supply and "adequate"
> regulation typically is not adequate from an IMD viewpoint
> no matter what certain proponents of tetrodes would have you
> believe.
>
> Karl is probably referring to the work by GW4FRX reported by
> Ian,, GW3SEK at: www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/cleansig/imd1.htm

Perhaps I should have been more careful with words. By 'adequate' I
meant good enough that it wasn't the predominant factor in IMD
performance - in effect, giving the same results as John and Ian's
regulators. That can be achieved with a fairly simple and inexpensive
active shunt regulator - I was not thinking of a string of zeners.

 > The bottom line: a pair of 4CX250s are good for maybe -30 dB
 > IMD3 with a very well regulated screen supply.

Yes, at 250-300W out.

Steve