[Amps] Amplifier Distortion / Tuning / Etc.

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Sep 27 12:17:12 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar at durham.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:48 AM
Subject: [Amps] Amplifier Distortion / Tuning / Etc.

> Good Day All,
>
> Well, from the bits & pieces that I've managed to read here lo these many
> days (before poking the delete button, that is!), it would seem that a
> great fracas has arisen within our "...Amp Nation" as to the whys &
> wherefores of proper adjustment & tuning of our grounded-grid
> linears...and that it has degenerated into the lowest common denominator
> of slur slinging and name calling...
>
> Tsk-tsk!
>
> About a year ago, when I attempted to solicit some level-headed factual
> feedback as to the proper operation of a g-g amplifier's loading control
> to minimize / eliminate key clicks --- quoting Bill Orr's statement in his
> RADIO HANDBOOKs about increasing loading until RF output drops a certain
> percentage --- I received a total of but ONE single response...
>
> Where were all of you experts then?
>
> I guess I would have generated far more "traffic" had I first prefaced my
> query with a personal assault upon some person's (living, or dead)
> intelligence, moral character, or personal hygiene...or, maybe instead, I
> should have first introduced my question with high praises for Mssrs. Lew
> McCoy, Doug DeMaw, and Bill Orr, to grab the attention of those specific
> gurus who might now jealously lay claim to their "legacies"...
>
> ~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Well, I know where I was. Gainfully employed and not wasting my employers
time on frivolous persuits. I sometimes wonder what several of these working
hours responders do for a living or are they just wasting their employers
time.

Now happily retired I need a place to get some entertainment, offer
assistance when possible, as well as learn something new.

I too do not like the name calling but Ive never been one to roll over and
stick my butt in the air. I often respond in like manner which rarely gets
another response from the intended respondent. However it sometimes
generates a response from those who cant control their urge to offer their
own unasked for opinion and just continue the unpleasantness as even more
join in and it starts to approach the intensity of a political convention.

Carl
KM1H