[Amps] Relays

Alex alexeban at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 02:41:04 EDT 2008

Hi guys:
It so happens that during the last 2 years or so I worked on high power
amplifiers in the kilowatt range .
PIN diodes are made by very few manufacturers, coming and going all the
time. They can run In the 300$ dollars range, are susceptible to burn out at
mediocre SWR,s and require back bias voltage approximately 3 times the PTP
RF voltage involved. They also require a forward current of a few hundreds
of mA to conduct well when open. This adds directly to the input noise
because they operate as a noise diode would.
In short, if you don't need fast switching speeds, don't mess with them.
They also have only a poor isolation of around 30 dB. In QRO use the
leftover power at the receiver port is still to much so that you need some
additional switching after the main diode with associated driving circuits.
In short, drop it!!!
73 and all the best:
Alex	4Z5KS