[Amps] Relays

Roger (K8RI) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Apr 2 13:46:27 EDT 2008

Alex wrote:
> OH, YEAH!
> Back in the sixties the radio Bible carried for years a T/R switch based on
> a triode. It was based on the principle of grid leak bias i.e. the RF
> developed bias for the tube to cut it of and thereby divorce the radio from
> the antenna during transmission.
> If I can find the schematic I'll scan and post it.
> 73, Alex

My first transmitter was a pair of 6L6s stuck in the corner of one of a
huge, steel TV chassis.  It eventually ended up with either a 12AT7 or
12AX7 as a TR switch.  (Novice running QSK<g>)
When I moved up to a Viking Ranger the transmitter portion was removed
from the chassis, but the TR switch remained.  I set the Ranger on the
chassis with the RME 6900 next to it.
The handbook I used was the "Green" one that fell apart. Nearly all the
Green ones fell apart.  I have one of the old "Blue" ones from the same
period out in the shop. I'll have to take a look.

73

Roger (K8RI)