[Amps] Relays

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Apr 2 13:46:32 EDT 2008

> The RJ-1 type of relay can also be completely silent if you mount it
> with a few drops of silicone seal or on a piece of soft rubber. Mount it
> directly to metal if you like to hear it click!

Good suggestion, Vic.  Although typically, that's half the solution.
Generally, cabling going to the relay's pins contributes much to sound
conductivity.  For example, RG-213/214, RG-142 and coaxial cable of other
sizes are often found terminating directly onto the relay's pins.  With
RG-213/214, the wiring size can become the limiting factor in the
transmission of the relay's sound -- even if the relay is shock-mounted.

I cut small 1"-2" loops made from ultra-flexible silicone HV wiring and use
it to bridge the end of the coax to the relay pin.  The loop creates a
cushioning effect.  Not much of a length, just enough to let the relay's
vibration dampen and dissipate in the wire.  Same with the coil pins, if
necessary.  Between shock-mounting the relay and using the flexible HV
wiring, all that is left is a slight tick -- but still not as quiet as a PIN
diode <g>.

Paul, W9AC