[Amps] Fw: 2008 Shelby Hamfest

Keith E. Spainhour KSpainhour at wilkes.net
Thu Apr 3 16:57:40 EDT 2008

 Shelby North Carolina Hamfest.

http://www.shelbyhamfest.org/hamfest.htm

    This is a C/P from the Shelby club web page. http://www.shelbyhamfest.org/hamfest.htm
    SIGNAL FADES ON 50-YEAR CLEVELAND COUNTY TRADITION
         It is with much regret that the Shelby Amateur Radio Club has made the decision not to have the 2008 Shelby Hamfest at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds.
        After 6 months of visiting the Fairgrounds on a regular basis to try to get a contract, we received a non-negotiable contract in the mail that makes it seem apparent the Fair Association does not want us to be there.  The proposed contract cut our use of the grounds in half and increased our price by 30%.  They also added two (2) limitations to the contract, both of which are things we have been doing as long as we have been using the fairgrounds, and the fair manager knows are necessary for us to accommodate our guests and vendors.  A letter was sent to the board chairman, Teri Bullock outlining our needs and requesting the courtesy of a face-to-face meeting to try to negotiate.  The letter asked for finalization by March 28, 2008, so that we could continue our planning for the hamfest.  Since we did not get a reply, we have no choice to cancel our plans for the 2008 Hamfest.

        We would like to apologize to the motels, restaurants, and other businesses in the county for loss of revenue caused by this cancellation.  Estimates we have received (from the County Commissioners) indicate that approximately 1/2 million dollars is normally added to Cleveland County's economy during this event.
         We also want to apologize to the charities and organizations of Cleveland County, which have received a share of the profits from our Hamfest.  We appreciate the help you have given us during this event.
        We will have fundraisers to help keep our repeaters and emergency equipment operational, and hope to be able to continue to provide radio communication and support to Cleveland County.
    Options for a smaller Hamfest will be explored if other properties become available within the Cleveland, Gaston, or Rutherford county area.
    Robby Hamrick, WA4RH
    Hamfest Chairman