[Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Apr 9 20:23:40 EDT 2008

Why waste the money ... four 572Bs are half again to twice the
price of four 811s.  The 572B will not provide any more gain or
power output than the 811 unless you modify the power supply for
about 40% more voltage (2 KV vs. 1400 V).

The 572B is taller and wider which might represent a problem
(moving the plate caps too close to the metal case or overly
restricting air flow between the tubes).

If you are really concerned about reliability pick one of the
better 811 suppliers - perhaps Marshall (made in the USA) -
but I would not waste the money and effort on imported 572Bs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV