[Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

jeremy-ca km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Apr 10 09:17:34 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv at subich.com>
To: "'Roger (K8RI)'" <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>; <Amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

>> OTOH the 572s are much more rugged and tolerant.
>
> The only difference is plate dissipation.  Operated at 1250 volts
> on the plate and not overdriven, 4 x 811A have more than enough
> plate dissipation for service at 800W PEP output.
>
>> They should run until they die of old age.
>
> The most likely failure is of the cathode - not the plate.

In the real world its the plate that usually fails from incorrect tuning
procedure. It may also be grid failure from the same set of circumstances.

The early Russian 811A's that MFJ used had soft glass and easily melted down
and lost vacuum.

Since 100W will not overdrive 4 811's thats not an issue

Since
> the cathodes are the same, there will be no difference in life
> between the two tubes unless someone tries to put a brick on the
> key.
>
>> Of course you can't get that cherry glow as quickly out of
>> the 572s as with the 811s<:-))
>
> Sure you can ... if the 572B is operated at or above its maximum
> ratings like some 811As.

There is more than one rating parameter, dont be obsessive about voltage
alone.

Carl
KM1H