[Amps] 3-500Z filament voltage and current

Chuck Curran ccurran at wi.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 20:42:33 EDT 2008

Larry:

I recently built an amp using two of the 3-400Z Eimac tubes.  While in the
process, I realized the new old stock Stancor 5 VAC 30 amp filament
transformer provided 4.66 VAC under load, with a 118VAC supply line.   So, I
started hunting down answers to the same questions you appear to be dealing
with.

Right or wrong, I measured the voltage at the socket contacts, not the
actual tube pin.  I found a series of e-mails in amps history files on
filament voltage, with some interesting comments.  As my memory recalls,
several were on commercially sold linear's that had high filament voltage,
one found to be 5.7 VAC on 3-500Z's.  That will ruin tube life.

I would suggest reading the Eimac Bulletin AP-18.  You can get your own from
their web site, try http://www.cpii.com/docs/related/22/AB18.pdf

Simply getting to the point quickly, I highly recommend giving the tube the
recommended filament voltage.  Dial it in to the 5 volt area, nothing too
high or too low.  I put a boost buck transformer in my primary circuit, then
also added a 25 watt 15 ohm ceramic pot.  I adjusted the pot to 5.0 volts on
the socket contacts, and checked the voltage over a two hour period and
found little if any change.  That is how my amp runs now.

Just compare the cost of a little boost buck transformer and a Hamfest pot
to the replacement cost of the tubes, I think I would get the voltage right
as fast as possible.  Look at the graphs showing tube life vs. filament
voltage included in the Eimac AP-18 Bulletin, that may push you real fast
towards getting the voltage right on the money.  AP-18 turned out to be
quite a help for me.

I also use a step start circuit on the filament primary,  I feel that is
another very simple and helpful item to increase tube life.  I did not make
any accurate measurements, I simply added the resistance, I don't remember
how much, I think it was about 40-50 ohms to the primary and got a nice slow
warm-up for about 4-6 seconds, then the relay picks and the tubes go to full
voltage.  It gave about 2.9-3.1 volts to the tubes.

Good Luck,

Chuck  WA9POU